What is the Smile Center?
The Smile Center is a dental clinic for the children of Rowan County. We provide compassionate and quality dental care to children. We also help families take steps to prevent their children from suffering future dental problems.
What is the Smile Center Mission Statement?
The Rowan County Health Department Smile Center will provide quality and compassionate dental care for underserved children in Rowan County.
Who is Eligible for Care At the Smile Center?
- Rowan County Children up to the age of 18.
- We accept Medicaid or Health Choice insurance. We will not accept retroactive Medicaid payment.
- If you do not have any dental insurance, you must first apply for both Medicaid and Health Choice. If you are not eligible, we will provide care on a sliding fee scale based on family size and income.
How do I Make an Appointment?
- You may call the Smile Center during business hours at 704-216-8796 to make an appointment.
- Our busy schedule prevents us from accepting walk-in visits.
What Are the Appointment Policies?
- Patients are expected to arrive on time for their appointments. If you are more than 10 minutes late, you may be asked to reschedule your appointment.
- A parent or guardian must come with their child to every cleaning appointment.
- Parents or guardians are not allowed in the treatment rooms and children are never left unattended in the Smile Center.
- It is our desire that the parent or legal guardian continues to bring their child to all appointments. However, if this is not possible after the initial visit, an adult may bring the child with a letter stating this arrangement. This policy does not apply to children whose transportation is arranged through a school or Head Start program.
- The parent, guardian, or assigned adult must stay at the Smile Center while the child is receiving care.
- Eating and drinking are not allowed in the waiting area.
What Happens if I Miss an Appointment?
A broken appointment is one of the following:
- Not showing up for an appointment.
- Arriving later than 10 minutes after your scheduled time.
- Failure to cancel an appointment at least 24 hours prior to the appointment.
- Canceling and rescheduling an appointment 3 times in a row.
Children with 2 broken appointments will be dismissed as patients from the Rowan County Smile Center and you will then be responsible for finding another dentist to treat your child.
How Do I Cancel an Appointment?
- Families are responsible for calling the Smile Center at least 24 hours before their child's appointment to cancel.
What if My Child Has an Emergency?
- If your child has a toothache, you may give the pain reliever your child normally takes and then call the Smile Center to arrange an appointment.
- If your child has bleeding from the mouth, or swelling of the face and/or jaws, take your child to the nearest hospital emergency room immediately.
- If your child has been involved in an accident with an injury to the teeth, you may call the Smile Center if it occurred during business hours for further instructions or you may take your child to the closest emergency room.
What if I Have Additional Questions?
Please feel free to call us during business hours and we will gladly answer any questions that you may have. We look forward to meeting with you and your child.
Smile Center brochures: English Spanish