THEO. BUERBAUM'S SALISBURY

Theo Buerbaum's Salisbury

Buerbaum HomeText ListingThumbnail IndexHistory RoomRPL Home


Court House

 

Court House, Salisbury N.C.

No series—Pub. by Theo Buerbaum, Saliabury N.C.

The Rowan County Courthouse built in 1855 is one of North Carolina’s most important Greek Revival buildings.  Local contractors Conrad & Williams erected the structure.  It is considered a Classical temple style building with a façade of massive two story Doric columns.   Spared by Union General George Stoneman, it served as the courthouse until the current one was built in 1914.  After that, it served as the Community Center, housing various government departments such as the Police Department and the Rowan Public Library.  At some point it lost its cupola.  It is now the Rowan County Museum and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. 

Source:  Hood, Davyd Foard The Architecture of Rowan County North Carolina: A Catalogue and History of Surviving 18th, 19th, and 20th Structures  Salisbury: Historic Salisbury Foundation, 2000