Absentee Voting by Mail
Rowan County registered voters who are unable to go to a One-Stop Absentee Voting Site during the early voting period and who are unable to go to their polling place on Election Day because of work, disability, school, etc. can request that a ballot be mailed to their home or current residence. This can be done for any election, however, as always, the request must be in writing.
Requests for absentee ballots must be hand delivered or mailed to the Rowan County Board of Elections: 130 West Innes Street, Salisbury, NC 28144. Below is the information that will be needed in order to process a request for an absentee ballot by mail. This information can be hand written (or typed) on plain paper by the person requesting the ballot or by an immediate relative*. Please print all requests clearly, an illegible request may delay the processing of your absentee ballot.
*(see list below for approved relatives)*
Please note that any request made for a ballot to be mailed to an address that is out of the state or country will need to be made early to allow for delivery time by the postal service.
Other important information regarding absentee ballots by mail:
- Absentee applications can be made in person by an approved family member (approved list in table above) at the Rowan County Board of Elections for voters that cannot go to the polls, however, the absentee ballot must still be mailed to voter.
- All voted absentee ballots must be received by the Rowan County Board of Elections by 5:00 p.m. on the Monday before the Election. Any ballot returned after that time will not be counted, unless the ballot is postmarked and mailed on or before election day and received by the county board no later than three-(3) days following the election, by 5:00 p.m. Ballots received by mail after that time, or returned without the proper postmark, will not be counted.)
- All absentee ballots will be mailed to the address listed on the absentee ballot request and will include the following items:
- Official Ballot
- Instructions on how to vote ballot and complete enclosed materials
- Self Addressed Return envelope - for ballot only! (Do NOT enclose any other document(s) inside this envelope). The information on the back of this envelope must be completed and each absentee voter must have a witness sign, date and supply their information in the space provided.
PLEASE NOTE It is very important that all information be completed and signed on the ballot return envelope. Any incomplete information could cause the absentee ballot to be in-eligible.
If you have any questions please call our office at 704-216-8140.