EMS System Medical Direction & Control
Rowan County's Emergency Medical Services (EMS) System is required under North Carolina state regulations to have local medical oversight of it's System. It is in the System's interest, the community's benefit and the enhancement of pre-hospital medical care to provide this oversight.
This medical direction and oversight is provided by two local physicians. Dr. Ronnie J. Barrier is designated as the System's Medical Director. Dr. Barrier is associated with Rowan Family Physicians and is a medical responder with the Liberty Fire Department. Dr. Bertrand Fote is designated as Assistant Medical Director. Dr. Fote is a staff physician with the emergency department of Rowan Regional Medical Center.
In providing the required medical oversight, our medical directors are responsible for providing the following services:
- Participation in the System's Peer Review Committee
- Participation in the System's Quality Management Committee
- Assist in review and update of response determinates of the System's Emergency Medical Dispatch (EMD) program and it's overall performance within the Telecommunications Department.
- Review and update as needed or required all medical protocols for the System, including medical responders, Emergency Medical Technicians (EMTs), Emergency Medical Technician Intermediates (EMT-I), Paramedics (EMT-P), and Emergency Medical Dispatchers (EMDs).
- Oversight of required local education and testing for the System's basic (BLS) and advanced life support (ALS) personnel.