The week of Monday, September 14, 2015 thru Monday, September 21, 2015 Permitting AND Inspection Scheduling will be limited due to a software program switch. Please plan your transactions accordingly.
We ask that you be patient with us as we make this transition to the new software, of course at first after the transition, Permitting and Inspection Scheduling may take longer.
Please call our office with any questions, thank you in advance for your understanding and cooperation.
- Obtain a Permit Application from the Building Inspections. (Rm 207)
- Complete Application and obtain Map and Parcel Number from the Tax Department. (Rm 201)
- Obtain Zoning Permit from Planning Department (Rm 204) or from cooresponding Municipality.
- Obtain a Septic Permit from the Environmental Health Department. (Rm 106)
- Return to Building Inspections with Permit Application, Zoning Permit and Septic Permit.
Permit Calculator: see Building Inspections home page.
For single trade permits:
1. You can call the office at 704.216.8619 (ext. #2) or Complete a Permit Application
2. Fax to 704.638.3130 or Bring to Building Inspections.
Projects requiring permits (NC General Statute 153A-357):
- The construction, reconstruction, alteration, repair, movement to another site, removal or demolition of any building;
- The installation, extension, or general repair of any plumbing system;
- No permit required for water heater replacement in 1 or 2 family dwelling when installed by licensed plumbing contractor and when replacing like for like tank size and fuel source, and when no piping or venting is altered;
- The installation, extension, alteration or general repair of any heating or cooling equipment system;
- The installation, extension, alteration or general repair of any electrical wiring, devices, appliances, or equipment
- No permit required in a 1 or 2 family dwelling for replacement or repair of 1) lighting fixtures, 2) devices such as receptacles or switches, 3) branch circuit to replacement water heater when any of the listed replacement or repair work is performed by a licensed electrical contractor.
- No permit is required for any construction, installation, repair, replacement, or alteration costing $5,000 or less in any single-family residence or farm building UNLESS the work involves:
- repair or replacement of load bearing structures
- addition or change in the design of plumbing (excluding same size and capacity)
- addition, replacement, or change in the design of heating, a/c,
- addition, replacement, or change in the design of electrical wiring, devices, appliances, or equipment
- No permit is required for replacement of roofing when replacing like-grade fire resistance.
- Zoning Permit may be needed if in area with restrictions for allowed materials.
All holders of permits, or their agents, shall notify the Building Inspections Department at each stage of construction so that approval may be given before work is continued. The Building Inspections Department shall make inspections as soon as practicable after the request is made. Inspections must be requested by 4:00 P.M. to be placed on the list of inspections for the following day. Inspection request made by 4:00 P.M. will normally be inspected within 48 hours.
Call (704).216.8619, for more information.