In order to give you the best service possible, Marriage Licenses will be issued from 8:00am until 4:45pm. Anyone coming after 4:30pm must have completed the online application before requesting a marriage license the same date.

Both applicants must appear to apply for the marriage license at the same time. The only exemption from this policy allowed by law is if one party is hospitalized, military deployed, or incarcerated and unable to appear. A sworn statement must be completed by the applicant along with military, medical or penal officials in agreement.

A valid government issued photo ID is required, which includes a driver's license, a state issued photo ID, or a passport.

A Social Security card is also required for both applicants. If the card is not available, a W-2 form, check stub, or tax return may be presented only if the full social security number is on the document.

If the bride or groom does not have a Social Security number, an affidavit must be completed and notarized. (Affidavit forms are located in the Register of Deeds office.)

If divorced, the party must know the month and year of the divorce decree. If the divorce was finalized during the same month and year of the purchase of the new marriage license, the party must present a copy of the divorce decree.

The marriage ceremony must be performed in North Carolina. The marriage license is valid immediately upon purchase and for 60 days from the date of purchase. On the 61st day, the license expires.

To obtain a marriage license without parental consent, the applicant must be 18 years of age. If age 16 or 17, consent is required from a parent or legal guardian. If age 14 and 15, a court order must be presented to the Register of Deeds.  Ages 17 and under must provide a certified birth certificate in addition to a valid government issued photo ID.

The fee for a marriage license is $60.00. CASH ONLY.


How do I obtain a copy of my marriage license? If you were married in Rowan County, you may stop by our office and purchase a certified copy for $10.00 (Cash or money order only). You may also request your copy by mail. Give the names of the groom and bride at time of marriage and the date of marriage, and include a self-addressed, stamped envelope. Requests are mailed the same day received.

Why do I need a copy? After receiving your certified copy of the marriage License, go by or mail your certified copy to the Social Security office to get a new SS card. 24 hours after this information has been filed with the Social Security Administration, you may then apply for a new North Carolina Driver’s License bearing your new name at any NC DMV Driver’s License office.

Can we get married in the Register of Deeds office? No. For a civil ceremony, contact the Magistrate at 704-797-3130.

How do I file separation papers? See an attorney. The recording fee is $26.00 for the first fifteen (15) pages and $4.00 for each additional page.

How do I obtain a copy of my divorce? If the divorce was processed in Rowan County, you may obtain a copy from the office of the Clerk of Court located on the first floor of the Courthouse at 210 North Main Street, Salisbury or Post Office Box 4599, Salisbury NC 28145-4599. (704-797-3001).