Churches - Baptist Church
Baptist Church, Salisbury, NC
The First Baptist Church was organized in 1849 with eighteen charter members. The Jersey Baptist Church of Davidson County provided guidance for this. In 1892, a one-room building was erected at North Church and West Council Streets. The church in the postcard was built in 1903 at the same location. It consisted of a sanctuary and an adjoining Sunday School Annex. In 1952, the congregation outgrew its building and a new church was built at 223 North Fulton Street. The congregation marched from the old building to their new church building as a way to consecrate the old building and mark the passage into a new phase. In 1999, on the 150th anniversary of the founding of the church, the congregation of the First Baptist Church retraced their steps with 600 members walking again from the site of the old church, now a parking lot, to their building on Fulton Street.
Dickerson, Susan “Salisbury's First Baptist Church 150th Anniversary Walk” Salisbury Post June 7, 1999
First Baptist Church http://www.fbcsalisbury.org/fbcaboutus.html
Sides, Susan Goodman Historic Salisbury and Rowan County in Vintage Postcards Salisbury: S. Sides, c2003.