Downtown Salisbury Street Scenes - Confederate Monument
Confederate Monument Salisbury, N.C.
Located at West Innes and Church Streets, “Fame,” the Confederate monument, honors Rowan County’s soldiers who fought heroically in the Civil War. The sculptor was Frederick W. Ruckstuhl and the statue stands 14 feet tall and is made of bronze. The pedestal was made from Rowan pink granite quarried by the Balfour Granite Company. The statue was dedicated May 10, 1909 with great fanfare and ceremony and attended by the mayor, veterans, other dignitaries and honored guests such as Mrs. Stonewall Jackson. The statue was cleaned and restored to a rich bronze in 1991. In the background, the old Presbyterian Church is visible. All that remains of the church today is the Bell Tower.
The Robert F. Hoke Chapter of the UDC raised the funds for the statue.
The Albertype Co. Brooklyn N.Y.
Salisbury Post May 10, 1909
Curtis, Sue “Salisbury Confederate Monument” Salisbury Post January 11, 2005
Dedication Program – Confederate Monument.