THEO. BUERBAUM'S SALISBURY

Theo Buerbaum's Salisbury

Buerbaum HomeText ListingThumbnail IndexHistory RoomRPL Home


Downtown Salisbury Street Scenes - Main Street

In the center of the square in Salisbury at the intersection of Innes and Main Streets was a fountain installed in 1888 for watering horses and for fire protection.  The fountain was called “Rebecca of the Well.”  It had to be moved to make way for the streetcars, and during World War II, the cast iron was sold for scrap metal.  A smaller replica was installed at the beginning of Gateway Park.  This small park was made possible by generosity of the family of Julian and Blanche Robertson.

Raphael Tuck & Sons Postcard Series No. 2297 “Salisbury, N.C.”

Copyright 1906 Theo Buerbaum

Source:

The Fountain http://www.roberttoth.com/fountain.htm

The Robertson Eastern-Gateway Park http://www.salisburync.gov/lm&d/Urban_res/gateway.html

Return to Downtown Salisbury Street Scenes Index