Downtown Salisbury Street Scenes - Washington Building
Washington Building, Salisbury, N.C.
The Washington Building on North Main Street was built in 1902 and described as being in the Richardsonian Romanesque style with rusticated ashlar facings. Rusticated ashlar refers to roughly finished cut stones and Romanesque styled buildings have rounded arches. The building also has an element of Spanish Mission style with the shaped gable at the roof- line. It was erected on the site of the old Yarborough House, where George Washington visited during his tour of the Southern states in 1791. According to Salisbury Renaissance, the building was commissioned by Lee S. Overman and designed by C. C. Hook of Charlotte. Overman sold the building to D. L. Arey in 1906. When this photo was taken, it housed Rowan Hardware and Rogers Clothing Company. Between the Washington Building and the meat store next door, was Hogans Alley.
7743 Buerbaum’s Bookstore, Salisbury N. C. Printed in Germany
Brawley, James Shober Salisbury Renaissance: Historical Photographs of Salisbury North Carolina 1880-1960 Salisbury: Historic Salisbury Foundation and Rowan Art Guild, 1981
Hood, Davyd Foard The Architecture of Rowan County North Carolina: A Catalogue and History of Surviving 18th, 19th, and 20th Structures Salisbury: Historic Salisbury Foundation, 2000
Sides, Susan Goodman Salisbury and Rowan County Charleston, SC: Arcadia, c1999