Salisbury Graded School - Chemistry Class in Laboratory
Salisbury, N.C. Graded School A Chemistry Class in Laboratory.
As early as 1854, a “practical” education was advocated for public High Schools. As a result, education in the latter part of the 19th century moved away from the teaching of the classics and more towards mathematics and science. A state of the art science laboratory became a mark of a progressive school. A typical secondary science curriculum might consist of one-semester courses in many fields of science such as astronomy, geology, botany, and zoology. Chemistry and Biology labs were built to encourage scientific thinking, and there developed an increased emphasis on the practical application of scientific knowledge.
Located at 314 North Ellis Street, the school became the Frank B. John School and was later razed.
Postcard series no. 0162 Raphael Tuck & Sons
Noble, M.C.S. A History of the Public Schools of North Carolina Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina, 1930
50th Anniversary Edition, Salisbury City Schools Progress Salisbury, NC: Salisbury City Schools, 1971