This is Theo. Buerbaum’s postcard of C.A. Kraus’s 1886 drawing of the Salisbury Prison. The former cotton factory contained an old blacksmith shop, used as a guard house and later as the “dead” house, an old well, brick buildings used for officers prison, Confederate headquarters, and an escape hole just to the right of the largest building. On April 12, 1865, the entire prison was burned to the ground by General George H. Stoneman and his Federal Forces.
No series, Souvenir Post Card of New York and Berlin
Brown, Louis A. The Salisbury Prison: a Case Study of Confederate Military Prisons, 1861-1865 Wilmington, NC: Broadfoot Publishing Co., 1992
For further information on the Salisbury Prison, see these sites:
Salisbury Confederate Prison Bibliography http://www.rowanpubliclibrary.org/HistoryRoom/prison/salsprison.htm
Salisbury Confederate Prison http://www.salisburync.gov/prison/1.html
Salisbury Confederate Prison Association http://www.salisburyprison.org/PrisonHistory.htm
The Salisbury NC Confederate Civil War Prison http://salisburyprison.gorowan.com/