Spencer Shops - Interior of Machine Shop
The Back Shop structure was built in 1905 and served as the major overhaul facility for steam locomotives where they were disassembled with the aid of a crane. Parts were re-machined on Lathes and milling machines before the locomotives were reassembled. In its heyday, two to three locomotives per week were completely rebuilt at the Back Shop. At 64 feet tall, 596 feet long, and 150 feet wide, it was the largest commercial building in North Carolina of the time. Spencer Shops could perform needed repair or overhaul to locomotives as well as freight and passenger cars.
The North Carolina Transportation Museum is renovating the Back Shop to be uses as a location to demonstrate North Carolina’s transportation history. It will eventually house trains, trucks, automobiles and aircraft as well as classrooms and meeting spaces. Renovations have been partially completed.
Raphael Tuck & Sons Post Card Series N. 0150 “Salisbury N.C.”
North Carolina Transportation Museum http://www.nctrans.org/