Spencer Shops - The Stable
The Southern Railway chose a location midway between Burlington and Charlotte for its shops in 1896. By 1920, as many as 250 cars daily were handled in the transfer shed and as many as 2,500 people were employed there making it Southern’s largest facility. The town of Spencer grew around the shop’s operation and was named in honor of Southern Railway’s first president, Samuel Spencer.
No series no. The Albertype Co., Brooklyn, N.Y.
Heritage of Rowan County, North Carolina, Volume 1, 1991, edited by Katherine Petrucelli, Salisbury: Genealogical Society of Rowan County, 1991
1953 Bicentennial Issue Salisbury Post
The North Carolina Transportation Museum at Spencer Shops http://www.ah.dcr.state.nc.us/centennial/features/nctm.htm