Yadkin River and the Trading Ford - St. John's Mill
Located near the Trading Ford on the Yadkin River, St. John’s Mill was built before the Civil War. Peter Hairston of Cooleemee owned it during that time and in August of 1888, J.B. Lanier, local businessman and distiller, bought it at auction. Lanier died in 1894 and the mill reportedly burned in 1913.
Raphael Tuck & Sons’ Post Card Series No. 060 “Salisbury, N.C.” Printed in Germany
James Brawley Collection, MSS 9002, Rowan Public Library, “Footnotes to History” September 2, 1973.