Service Support

Intake Services:
Provide assistance to elderly and/or disabled adults in assessing needs and linking clients with community resources to meet these needs.

Special Assistance In-Home Program:
Provides an option for in-home care for older and disabled adults who are in need of placement in an adult care home, but who desire to live in a private living setting and can be maintained safely in that setting. A social worker develops a care plan based on client assessments and planning with the clients, family members, and others and determines how the Special Assistance In-Home payment is to be used to enable the client to live at home safely.

Adult Care Home Case Management:
Provides for the verification of the need for additional personal care assistance for Medicaid eligible residents in adult care homes. A resident must meet Medicaid criteria as a heavy care resident and require extensive or total assistance in ambulation/locomotion, toileting, and/or feeding.

Adult Care Home Licensure/Monitoring:
Provided to Adult Care Home staff and residents in licensing these facilities, monitoring the facilities to see that State regulations are followed, and investigating Adult Care Home complaints.

Adult Day Care Services:
Provided to monitor adult day care centers in order to ensure program quality. Our agency may also provide limited funding and case management services to disabled adults who need this program but are unable to pay for it.

Adult Protective Services:
Receive and evaluate reports to determine whether disabled adults are in need of protective services as a result of their vulnerability to abuse, neglect, or exploitation. This service is available without regard to income.

In-Home Aide Services:
Provided to assist families with attaining and maintaining self-sufficiency and improving quality of life for the elderly adult to stay in their homes as long as possible to avoid premature substitute care and unnecessary out-of-home placement. These services assist with home management tasks and personal care tasks for adults who cannot carry out the tasks essential to the activities of daily living.

Guardianship Services:
Provided to individuals who are alleged to be incompetent or may be adjudicated incompetent by the court and need a guardian. Guardianship involves a legal relationship in which someone (the guardian) is authorized by the clerk of Superior Court to be a substitute decision maker for “the ward.”

Adult Placement Services:
Provided to help aging or disabled adults find appropriate living and healthcare arrangements when their health, safety, and well-being can no longer be maintained at home. Placement arrangements are made in adult care homes, nursing homes, or other substitute homes, residential health care settings, or institutions.

Services for the Blind:
Provides services to visually impaired Rowan County residents. The State social worker provides these services in Rowan County on Monday, Thursday, and Friday and may be reached by calling 704-216-8351.


Child Care Program:
Provides for the care, protection, and developmental experiences of children for a portion of the day or night. Services may be provided to families who demonstrate a need based on North Carolina Division of Child Development policy. Eligibility requirements also include a residency requirement in the county of North Carolina where they apply, citizenship requirements, an age requirement of the child, and income eligibility. Each type of child care arrangement must be licensed or meet all applicable Division of Child Development requirements for the type of arrangement.


Child Support:
Child Support Enforcement works to ensure that both parents are responsible for the financial support of their children. Services are provided to the custodians of minor children, regardless of income level. County agents help locate non-custodial parents, establish paternity of the child, and petition the court to order child support payments and to enforce compliance. The calculation of child support is governed by North Carolina Child Support Guidelines established by the Conference of Chief District Court Judges.


Work First:
Provides services focusing on employment and self-sufficiency for families with children who meet income eligibility guidelines. The program promotes work, requires personal responsibility, and helps families get and keep a job. Work First Family Assistance benefits provide short-term services with families expected to work actively towards becoming self-sufficient. The program is built on the premise that all families have a responsibility to their families and community to work and provide for their children.

Work First Emergency Assistance:
Provides benefits to families with children to alleviate an emergency situation defined as an unexpected, immediate crisis that is not expected to re-occur if assistance is provided. Citizenship and residency requirements apply as well as income and resource limits. Examples of situations where services may be provided are families in immediate danger of eviction or foreclosure or where a utilities cut-off notice has been issued.