Reporting Child Abuse & Neglect

How do I report abuse & neglect?

A report may be made in person, by telephone or in writing to the Department of Social Services:  

Rowan County Department of Social Services
1813 E. Innes Street
Salisbury, NC  28146

During regular business hours, the county phone number for making reports is 704-216-8499.

After regular business hours, call Rowan County Communications at 704-216-8500.
Reports may also be made to the state Child Protective Services Division by calling 1-800-354-KIDS.


Do I have to give my name when I make a report?

No, reports may be made anonymously; however, you will not receive a letter advising whether the report was accepted for assessment nor notification of the case decision. 

Who must report child abuse & neglect?

The law requires everyone to report suspected child abuse or neglect:  "Any person or institution that has cause to suspect that any juvenile is abused or neglected or dependent, as defined by GG.S. 7B-101, or has died as the result of the maltreatment shall report the case of that juvenile to the director of the Department of Social Services, or his/her designee, in the county where the juvenile resides or is found." (G.S. 7B-310)

This reporting requirement applies to professionals such as physicians, psychologist, other health and mental health workers, day care workers, and school personnel.  But it applies equally to friends, neighbors, relatives, and anyone else who suspects that a child is abused or neglected.