What is the Census?
The count is mandated by the Constitution and conducted by the U.S. Census Bureau, a nonpartisan government agency. The 2020 Census counts the population in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and five U.S. territories (Puerto Rico, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Guam, and the U.S. Virgin Islands). Each home will receive an invitation to respond to a short questionnaire—online, by phone, or by mail. This will mark the first time that you will be able to respond to the census online.
Local Census Videos
Learn why some of our the movers and shakers in our community have completed the 2020 Census and urge you to do the same in these videos:
- Chanaka Yatawara, Executive Director of Salisbury Community Development Corporation
- Barbara Mallett, Mayor of East Spencer
- Krista Woolly, Community Care Clinic
- Karen Alexander, Mayor of Salisbury
- Liliana Spears, Human Relations Council
- Greg Edds, Chairman of the Rowan County Board of Commissioners
- Gemale Black, President of Salisbury-Rowan NAACP
- Elaine Spalding, President of Rowan Chamber of Commerce
Why does it matter to Rowan County?
The census provides critical data that lawmakers, business owners, teachers, and many others use to provide daily services, products, and support for you and your community. The Census will allocate $675 billion in federal funding to go to hospitals, fire departments, schools, roads, and other vital community programs based on census data. It is our goal that Rowan County receives its fair share.
The results of the census also determine the number of seats each state will have in the U.S. House of Representatives, and they are used to draw congressional and state legislative districts.
How do I respond?
This year, residents will receive an invitation in the mail with instructions on how to complete the Census online or by phone.
Census Presentation Slides
- Slide 1: When We All Respond (JPG)
- Slide 2: Respond Your Way (JPG)
- Slide 3: Census Data Impacts Funding (JPG)
- Slide 4: Support Small Businesses (JPG)
- Slide 5: Census Data Informs Business Decisions (JPG)
- Slide 6: Why We Ask for Resources (JPG)
- Slide 7: 2020 Census New Initiatives (JPG)
- Slide 8: Privacy and Confidentiality (JPG)
- Slide 9: The Census Bureau Never... (JPG)
- Census Presentation Slides (PPTX)
- Census Presentation Slides (PDF)