Death Certificate Information
Rowan County Register of Deeds can only provide copies of death certificates for individuals whose death occurred within Rowan County. If the individual passed away outside of Rowan County please contact the Register of Deed’s Office where the individual’s death occurred.
You may purchase a certified copy of a death certificate for any individual who passed away in Rowan County by visiting the Register of Deeds Office, by mail, or online. The cost for a certified copy is $10 cash; please note additional processing fees apply when requesting certified copies online.
Please note certified copies of certificates are available only to the following people:
- A person requesting a copy of his or her own vital records or that of the person’s spouse, sibling, grandparent, grandchild, stepparent, or stepchild
- A person seeking information for a legal determination of personal or property rights
- An authorized agent, attorney, or legal representative of a person described above
To obtain a certified copy of a vital record in person you may come into our office located at 402 N. Main Street, Suite 102, Salisbury, North Carolina 28144. When requesting a certified copy of a vital record in office you must complete a request form and present a valid government issued photo I.D.
To obtain a death certificate online please visit Rowan County’s Vital Record Request Website.
To Request a copy via mail:.
- Submit a Written Request: must include the name of the deceased, date of death, your relation to the deceased and a contact number.
- A photo copy of your government issued photo ID
- A self-addressed stamped envelope
- A Money Order for $10.00 made payable to the Rowan County Register of Deeds
Funeral Home Requests
Funeral Homes may request copies of death certificates online, in person or by mail.
To Request a copy via mail:
- Submit a Written Request on company letterhead: must include the name of the deceased, date of death and a contact number.
- A self-addressed stamped envelope (If requesting multiple certified copies please be sure to include an envelope of sufficient size)
- A Money Order made payable to the Rowan County Register of Deeds. Each certified copy is $10.00.
For additional information regarding funeral home requests, please contact the Rowan County Register of Deeds at 704-216-8626.
Visit Death Certificate Frequently Asked Questions for more information.