The Shelter is an open admission, municipal shelter committed to protecting animals while working to promote a harmonious atmosphere between the animals and residents of our county.
Our mission is to protect the health and welfare of the animals living in Rowan County, as well as, to find homes and rescues to place those that have found themselves in the custody of the Shelter.
Discover available animals, the process for adopting, and upcoming special adoption events.
Gain an understanding of the specifics for the leash law in Rowan County, which applies to all animals.
Learn laws and procedures for reporting a lost or found animal.
Gain an understanding of the shelter policies put in place to keep animals and those visiting safe.
Discover information regarding rabies and what this can mean for the citizens and pets of Rowan County.
Learn more about the Rescue Group Adoption Program and what it means for residents of Rowan County.
Browse editions of the Rowan Animal Talk for tips and information from the County Veterinarian.
Discover how to become a volunteer for the Rowan County Animal Shelter.
- What are your hours?
- How do I adopt an animal from the shelter?
- What does "last day" mean in the description of animals for adoption?
- How do I check a pet's availability?
- What do I do if I have an after-hours emergency?
- How do I report a missing pet?
- What must I do if I have found a lost pet?
- What should I do if I have found an injured or potentially orphaned wild animal?
- What should I do if my neighbor's animals are on my property?
- I have a wild animal/reptile in my crawl space. Do you handle wildlife removal?
- Do you loan traps?
- What should I do if I find young puppies or kittens that appear to be nursing age and there is no mother in sight?