Internships & Practicums
The purpose of the practicum/internship with the Therapeutic Recreation (TR) Division is to provide the student with practical experience in the development and implementation of therapeutic recreation services in a municipal, community-based therapeutic recreation setting. The internship will expose the student to a variety of disability groups. If completing an internship, the student will follow the guidelines set forth by the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC) and North Carolina Board of Recreational Therapy Licensure (NCBRTL) and be prepared to enter the workforce as a Licensed Recreational Therapist (LRT)/Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS).
Internship opportunities are usually available in the Fall and Spring semesters. Practicum opportunities are usually available in the Summer semester. To obtain an application for a practicum or internship see the links at the bottom of the page. Please include the following with your application: interest letter, current resume, and university transcript. For inquiries, please contact the Therapeutic Recreation Division at 704-216-7780 or email the TR Division Supervisor.
- Spring 2022: Internship Student Only: Application Deadline- October 22, 2021
- Summer 2022: Practicum Student Only: Application Deadline- March 25, 2022
- Fall 2022: Internship Student Only: August - December; Application Deadline- May 6, 2022
The following are goals the student has the opportunity to achieve during the internship:
- To develop an understanding of the role as a professional Therapeutic Recreation Specialist in a community-based setting
- To observe and participate in programs with various disability groups
- To observe and participate in the administrative responsibilities
- To acquire and demonstrate skill in assessment and documentation procedures
- To develop and demonstrate skill and ability in the following skills: communication, organization, problem-solving, and leadership
- To gain an understanding of how important recreation and leisure can be to an individual’s lifestyle
- To develop professional leadership and confidence in planning, programming, and implementing programs for all groups served