Internships & Practicums
The purpose of the practicum/internship with the Therapeutic Recreation Division is to provide the student with practical experience in the development and implementation of therapeutic recreation services in a municipal, community based therapeutic recreation setting. The internship will expose the student to a variety of disability groups. If completing an internship, the student will follow the guidelines set forth by NCTRC and NCBRTL and be prepared to enter the workforce as an LRT/CTRS.
Internship opportunities are usually available in the Fall and Spring semesters. Practicum opportunities are usually available in the Summer semester. To obtain an application for a practicum or internship see the links at the bottom of the page. Please include the following with your application: interest letter, current resume, and university transcript. For inquiries, please contact the Therapeutic Recreation Division at 704-216-7780 or email the TR Division Supervisor.
Spring 2021: Practicum Student Only: Application Deadline- November 27, 2020
Summer 2021: Practicum Student Only: Application Deadline- March 19, 2021
Fall 2021: Internship Student Only: August 23 – December 3; Application Deadline- May 7, 2021
The following are goals the student has the opportunity to achieve during the internship:
- To develop an understanding of the role as a professional Therapeutic Recreation Specialist in a community-based setting
- To observe and participate in programs with various disability groups
- To observe and participate in the administrative responsibilities
- To acquire and demonstrate skill in assessment and documentation procedures
- To develop and demonstrate skill and ability in the following skills: communication, organization, problem solving, and leadership
- To gain an understanding of how important recreation and leisure can be to an individual’s lifestyle
- To develop professional leadership and confidence in planning, programming, and implementing programs for all groups served