Adult Protective Services

Abuse, neglect, and exploitation of disabled adults are concerns in our community. If you suspect a disabled adult is being mistreated or abused, it is your responsibility to call Rowan County Department of Social Services (DSS) and report your concerns immediately. DSS’ Adult Protective Services (APS) staff will determine what actions are needed to ensure protection. APS professionals cannot protect our community’s disabled unless you take the time to call.

Make a Report

Make your report during regular office hours of 8 a.m. until 5 p.m., Monday through Friday or call DSS at 704-216-8330, and ask the operator to connect you with Adult Protective Services. You may also call the APS Intake number directly at 704-216-8331. If you feel an adult is in immediate risk of harm or death due to abuse, neglect, or exploitation, in addition to calling DSS, you should also call 911 and report your concerns to a law enforcement agency. Outside of regular office hours, you can make a report by calling 911. The 911 operator will put you in touch with an APS social worker. 

Reports also may be made in writing to:

Adult Protective Services
Rowan County Department of Social Services
1813 East Innes Street
Salisbury, NC 28146

Confidentiality of the Reporter

DSS does not reveal the name of a person who makes a report, except in very specific circumstances in which a judge has issued a court order to reveal the name of the reporter. Reporters are not required to give their name; however, it is helpful for APS to have the name of the reporter in case APS needs to contact the reporter after the initial report is made.

Important Telephone Numbers

The Protocol is in compliance with North Carolina General Assembly 108A, Article 6.
Department Phone Number
Rowan County Telecommunications 911
Rowan County Department of Social Services 704-216-8330
APS Intake Number 704-216-8331