Staff Development / Training
To provide Professional Law Enforcement to the Citizens of Rowan County, North Carolina through efficient and effective methods. This mission encompasses functions of Courthouse Security, Civil Process, Operations of Detention Facility, Criminal Investigations, and Community Patrol.
Detention Officers are not required to be Basic Law Enforcement Certified (BLET). They are required to be Detention Officer Certified (DOCC) within one year of hire date as mandated by the North Carolina Sheriff's Standards.
Basic Law Enforcement Training is required in advance for Deputy Sheriff positions.
- 11 Paid Holidays
- College Incentive - AA 3%, BA 6%
- Competitive Health, Dental and Life Insurance
- Direct Deposit
- LEO Certificate Program - Advanced 4%, Intermediate 3%, Basic 2%
- Uniforms and Equipment supplied
- Paid Training and Sick Leave
Standards for Initial Application
- At least 21 years of age
- Criminal, Driving, and Credit History must be in good standing
- Must possess a current NC Driver's License
- Pass Drug Testing
- Competitive Starting Salary for Positions
- Starting Salary based on Education and Experience
BLET and DOCC Sponsorship
Sponsorships are required to attend any Basic Law Enforcement Training (BLET) or Detention Officer Certification Course (DOCC).
- Applicants that have completed DOCC will be considered prior to those having completed BLET only.
Sponsorships do not guarantee that you will be employed by the Rowan County Sheriff's Office.
Applicants must live within Rowan County to be approved for BLET or DOCC Sponsorship's.
Applicants for sponsorship must be provided 30 days prior to the first day of class in order to provide ample time for a complete background check.
To Apply for a Sponsorship
To apply for a sponsorship you must provide:
Complete Computerized Voice Stress Analysis Test (CVSA)
Criminal History (Each county you have lived since turning the age of 16, to include military)
Current Valid NC Driver License
DD214- Member 4 copy (Military Discharge) must be Honorable
Personal History Form (F3)
Physical examination completed on NC Sheriff's Standards F1 and F2 Forms (including TB Screening)
Rowan County Employment Application
Social Security Card