Food & Nutrition Services

Program Details

Food and Nutrition Services logoThe Food and Nutrition Services (FNS) Program is a federal food assistance program that helps low-income individuals and/or families buy the food they need for a nutritionally adequate diet. Food and Nutrition Services benefits are issued via Electronic Benefit Transfer cards (EBT cards) that may used to purchase food at participating stores. These benefits cannot be used to purchase tobacco, pet food, paper products, soap products, toiletries, or alcoholic beverages. Applicants must meet eligibility requirements for income, household composition, citizenship/immigration status, work requirements, and resources.

To Apply

You may apply in person at the local Department of Social Services (DSS) in the state/county where you reside. You may go to the FNS website and complete the application online (PDF) and submit to DSS by mail or by fax. You may fax the application to any of these numbers:

  • 704-216-8433
  • 704-216-7937

If you are a Rowan County resident, you may mail the application to:
Department of Social Services
1813 E Innes Street
Salisbury, NC 28146

The date of the application is the date the completed, signed, and dated application is received in the DSS agency in the county where you reside. If eligible, benefits cannot begin prior to the application date. You may be required to come into the agency to complete the interview. If you have circumstances that prevent you from coming into the agency, contact DSS at 704-216-8330.

Non-Discrimination Statement

USDA Programs (SNAP)

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Complaint Form, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA via mail, email, or fax.

U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410
Fax: (202) 690-7442