For Immediate Release
Follow Us: www.facebook.com/rowancountyhealth
Rowan County COVID-19 Case Information: https://bit.ly/rowan-covid19-hub
Newest Information on COVID-19 Boosters
This past Wednesday, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) authorized, and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) recommended the COVID-19 Pfizer booster for children ages 12 to 15 years old. With COVID-19 infections skyrocketing to a seven-day daily average of more than 480,000 cases per day nationwide and with the number of children being hospitalized across the country increasing, getting vaccinated and getting your booster is the best way to strengthen and to extend your body’s protection against COVID-19. Current recommendations for children 5 and older, as well as adults, are as follows:
- Children 12 and up who received the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine can receive the Pfizer booster five months after their second dose. Parental consent is required.
- Adults 18 and older can receive any brand of COVID-19 vaccine for their booster shot.
- The CDC also recommends a third dose of Pfizer for children ages 5 to 11 who are immunocompromised.
- People who received the two doses of the Moderna vaccine should receive their booster in six months.
- People who received the Johnson & Johnson vaccine should receive their booster two months after their vaccination.
- Also, please be aware that the wait time for boosters for anyone who received the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccination has been reduced from six months to five months.
It is important that you get vaccinated and that you get your booster as soon as you are eligible. This not only protects you, but to also protects your family and anyone that you may come in contact with.
Download Media Release COVID-19 - January 07, 2022 (PDF)