How do I buy foreclosure properties?

Foreclosure Sales are properties sold due to delinquent tax liens, after other collection efforts have been exhausted. The process of foreclosure, from start to finish can take as little as 60 days or as long as 18 months. Owners or lienholders have up until the day of sale to pay taxes and fees in full which would stop the sale of the property. The County opens bidding at the amount equal to delinquent taxes, interest, plus legal costs. Anyone may offer an amount over the County's bid at public auction and obtain ownership upon completion of a 10 day upset bid period. The Foreclosure sale will be made subject to all outstanding county, city, fire district taxes and all local improvement assessments against the described property not included in the judgment. All other liens on the property may be extinguished at time of sale.

NC State law prohibits the sale of property tax lien certificates. The Collections Department maintains the Tax Foreclosure webpage which is updated when information is received from the Foreclosure attorney. When foreclosure properties are ready, the sale dates and times are posted on our webpage.Sales

Foreclosure Sales are held at the Rowan County Courthouse, 210 North Main Street, Salisbury, NC, 28144 at the date and time assigned by the Courts. You must be in attendance at the sale to bid on a property.

At the time of sale, if you are the highest bidder the attorney will require a deposit of 20% of the amount of the bid. Only certified funds or money orders are accepted for a deposit on the sale day. Rowan County does not offer financing.

The sale is subject to a 10 day upset bid period as required by law. Upset bids must be submitted in person at the Rowan County Courthouse, Office of the Clerk of Superior Court. The court case number must be provided to the Office of the Clerk of Superior Court in order for the record to be accessed. Upset bids require a 5% increase over the last highest bid, with a minimum increase of $750. Inquiries regarding close out status of foreclosure sales, must be made in person at Office of the Clerk of Superior Court.

If you are the highest bidder at the close of the upset bid period, final payment will be due in the foreclosure attorney's office upon delivery of the Commissioner's deed.

It is recommended that you seek legal advice in the Foreclosure process from your personal attorney. If you have specific questions regarding a property you can contact the Collections department at (704) 216-8544.

View Current Foreclosures

Show All Answers

1. How do I get a refund when the tag has been turned in to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office and the vehicle was sold?
2. How do I buy foreclosure properties?
3. How do I get a refund for my tag if I move out of state?