In-Home Aide

In-Home Aide Services provides personal care and home management services to older adults and adults with disabilities who are unable to perform these tasks.  Services are often provided to remedy or prevent abuse, neglect, or exploitation and unnecessary out of home placement.  These services are designed to provide assistance, not to replace the family in carrying out their responsibilities to individuals needing care and support. 

The individual needing services or someone acting on the individual's behalf can call the Adult Services line at 704-216-8331 to request assistance.  Requests for assistance can also be made in person. 

Special Assistance In-Home

Adults who are at risk of placement in an Adult Care Home may qualify for assistance to remain at home instead.  The Special Assistance Program (SA/IH) can be qualified individuals who are assessed as having as safe home environment and demonstrated need for additional financial supports and services, to continue living independently.  SA/IH can assist with essential expenses such as food, shelter, clothing, and other daily necessitates associated with a private living arraignment.  A case manager works with participants to determine the need and purpose for SA/IN assistance.  the case manager also monitors to assure the funds are used for the intended purposes and the participant remains safely at home. 

Special Assistance In-Home Eligibility Criteria

  • Must be at least 18 years of age
  • Must require the same level of care as provided by an adult care facility (confirmed by a physician) but express a desire to live at home or in another private living setting
  • Must have income below the federal poverty level and be eligible for Medicaid
  • if not already receiving Medicaid, must fill out an application and be determined eligible for both Medicaid and Special Assistance In-Home payment
  • Must demonstrate need for financial support to remain safely at home
  • With services, can have health, safety and well-being maintained at home.

There are a limited number of Special Assistance In-Home slots available in Rowan County and applicants may be placed on a Wait List.  Once a slot becomes available, applicants will be advised to fill out an SA/IH Medicaid Application and will then be referred to an SA/IH Case manager for assessment in the home.  Individuals may contact the Adult Services line at 704-216-8331 for questions regarding the SA/IH Program.