North Carolina Benefits

North Carolina offers several benefits for its veteran population.

North Carolina State Scholarship Program 

Children whose parent is 100% disabled from a wartime service connection or whose parent died on active duty may be eligible for an automatic award. There are also competitive scholarships.

Email NCDVA Scholarships or call 844-624-8387 (press option 2) for more information.

Hunting and Fishing Licenses

Veterans who are rated 50 to 100 percent disabled are eligible for reduced rate licenses.  Please use the following steps to apply:

  1. Download and complete the top part of the NCDVA-50 (PDF) with your personal information. All fields must be complete. 
  2. Collect a copy of your DD-214, rating decision narrative or tax abatement letter and bring them with you to the Veterans Services Office. 
  3. If you are applying for a license with hunting privileges, make sure that you are in compliance with instructions printed in the box at the bottom of the form. 

NC Wildlife Resources Commission License Section Phone: 1-888-248-6834

Note: These instructions are intended to speed up the application process. Forms are available at our office for those without a printer.

Auto License Plates

Please use the following steps to apply for a Military/Veteran's License Plate with the NC Department of Transportation.

  1. Complete the Military/Veteran's Registration Plate Application (PDF).  Print out a copy.
  2. Bring a copy of the application along with DD-214 (discharge papers) to the Veteran's Service Office.
  3. The Veteran's Service Office will verify service and sign off on the application form.
  4. Take the completed and verified application form back to the DMV for final processing.

Veterans who are 100 percent disabled are eligible for a free Disabled Veteran License Plate.

Property Tax Exemption

To qualify for the disabled veteran homestead property tax relief under North Carolina law, a person must meet the following criteria:

The property owner must be a veteran of any branch of the US Armed Forces with an honorable discharge AND

  • The property owner must have a permanent and total service connected disability of 100% or
  • Rated Permanently Individually Unemployable by the US Department of Veteran Affairs or
  • The property owner must be in receipt of Dependents Indemnity Compensation (Survivors Pension) as a surviving spouse.

The disabled veteran homestead exemption is the first $45,000 of your assessed real property value. Co-owners who are not spouses and who are individually eligible for the benefit will receive the total exemption of $90,000 in accordance with N.C.G.A 105.277.1C.

 Learn more by visiting the Rowan County Assessor's Office webpage or calling 704-216-8565.

State Cemeteries

North Carolina has state cemeteries. A free burial plot is provided for eligible North Carolina veterans. Legal spouses can be buried for a small fee.

Veterans Nursing Homes

The state has four full-service skilled nursing facilities (in Fayetteville, Salisbury, Black Mountain, and Kinston) for veterans who must have lived in North Carolina for 24 months.  Contact the Salisbury Campus at 704-638-4200.  Learn more about NC Veterans Homes.


Any member of the armed services qualifying for admission to an institution of higher learning shall be charged the in-state tuition rate.


Preference in State Government employment is granted to veterans, surviving spouses, or spouses of disabled veterans.