Applying for a U.S. Passport?
Passport Services are now available at the Rowan County Register of Deeds. As a Passport Acceptance Facility, we will accept your completed application for a new passport and forward it to the Passport Services section of the U.S. Department of State for an issuance determination.
Effective 5/1/2020 the Register of Deeds will resume Passport Services with the following restrictions:
- Masks are required before entry into the office.
- Office access is restricted to applicants only.
Schedule an Appointment
To schedule an appointment, please contact the Rowan County Register of Deeds.
- We do not accept debit or credit for services in the Register of Deeds.
- Checks or money orders are required for mailing with your completed passport application.
- Passport Service Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. ( Closed for lunch 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.)
Form DS-11 Requirements
All applicants submitting passport application Form DS-11 (PDF) must appear in person and submit the following:
- Proof of U.S. citizenship (certified birth certificate, expired passport, naturalization certificate)
- Proof of identity (driver's license, military ID, other government issued ID)
- A recent 2 inch x 2 inch high-quality photograph taken with a white or off white background (Photos can be taken on site for a fee of $10 per applicant).
Please contact our office for additional requirements of applicants under the age of 18.
Please use this checklist (PDF) for items needed to submit along with your application. You may contact our office at 704-216-8626 for more information.
Visit the U.S. Department of State's website for applications, current fee schedule and detailed information on passport renewal and obtaining a passport for applicants under the age of 16.
View our Current Fee Schedule (PDF).
Application fee: Personal check or money order payable to "U.S. Department of State". (We cannot accept cash or debit/credit cards for this service)
Execution fee ($35) and photo fee ($10): Cash, check, or money order made payable to "Rowan County Register of Deeds"
- Expedited Processing: 2 to 3 weeks
- Routine Processing: 6 to 8 weeks