Applying for a U.S. Passport?
Passport Services are now available at the Rowan County Register of Deeds. As a Passport Acceptance Facility, we will accept your completed application for a new passport and forward it to the Passport Services section of the U.S. Department of State for an issuance determination.
Schedule an Appointment
To schedule an appointment, please contact the Rowan County Register of Deeds.
- We do not accept debit or credit for services in the Register of Deeds.
- Checks or money orders are required for mailing with your completed passport application.
- Passport Service Hours: Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Open 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. depending on staff availability; call ahead to verify).
Form DS-11 Requirements
All applicants submitting passport application Form DS-11 (PDF) must appear in person and submit the following:
- Proof of U.S. citizenship (certified birth certificate, expired passport, naturalization certificate)
- Proof of identity (driver's license, military ID, other government issued ID)
- A recent 2 inch x 2 inch high-quality photograph taken with a white or off white background (Photos can be taken on site for a fee of $10 per applicant).
Please contact our office for additional requirements of applicants under the age of 18.
Please use the Passport Checklist in English (PDF) or Requisitos para Pasaportes (PDF) for items needed to submit along with your application. You may contact our office at 704-216-8626 for more information.
Visit the U.S. Department of State's website for applications, current fee schedule and detailed information on passport renewal and obtaining a passport for applicants under the age of 16.
Application fee: Personal check or money order payable to "U.S. Department of State". (We cannot accept cash or debit/credit cards for this service)
Execution fee ($35) and photo fee ($10): Cash, check, or money order made payable to "Rowan County Register of Deeds"
Mail delays are impacting when the U.S. Department of State receives passport applications for processing. Processing times begin the day the U.S. Department of State receives an application, not the day it is mailed.
With this in mind, the service times are as follows:
- Routine service can take up to 7-10 weeks. Processing times begin the day the application is received by the processing center. Mail times may vary throughout the country.
- Expedited service (for an additional $60) can take up to 3-5 weeks. Processing times begin the day the application is received by the processing center. Mail times may vary throughout the country.
- For faster mailing times, customers may opt to pay for 1-2 day delivery service for applications mailed to Passport Services and for the mailing of their new passport.
Customers who have a life-or-death emergency or urgent travel within 3 business days should contact our passport acceptance agent at 704-216-8631 for information on how we can assist them.
We thank you for your continued support during these unprecedented times.