Marriage License Information
**Due to the extreme demand in the number of marriage licenses requested we will have to adjust our cutoff time to 4 p.m.**
Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. All individuals arriving after 3:30 p.m. wishing to obtain a marriage license must have completed the online application before arriving to ensure there is enough time to prepare and issue the license.
Requirements / Obtaining a License
The marriage license is valid for 60 days, however prior to visiting our office please make sure to have your marriage date, location of marriage and officiant information ready in order to complete the in-office paperwork.
To obtain a marriage license without parental consent, the applicant must be 18 years of age. Ages 17 and under must also provide a certified birth certificate. If age 16 or 17, consent is required from a parent or legal guardian. If age 14 and 15, a court order must be presented to the Register of Deeds.
- Applicants who wish to obtain a marriage license in Rowan County may complete their application online or at the Rowan County Register of Deeds office. To complete the application online visit the Online Marriage License Application. Completing the online portion of the application at home will lessen the amount of time spent in our office. If you choose to complete the application online, please note that both applicants must still appear in person as additional paperwork is necessary and must be completed in the office.
- Both parties should be present when applying for the marriage license. The only exemption from this policy allowed by law is if one party is hospitalized, military deployed, or incarcerated and unable to appear. A sworn affidavit must be completed by the applicant along with military, medical or penal officials in agreement. The marriage may be performed anywhere within the state of North Carolina. Affidavits forms are located in the Register
- Applicants must show proof of identity by showing acceptable forms of valid government issued photo I.D. which include:
- State I.D. Card
- Driver’s License
- Military I.D.
- A Social Security number is also required for both applicants.
- If the applicant’s does not have a Social Security number, an affidavit must be completed and notarized. (Affidavit forms are located in the Register of Deeds office).
Non-English Speaking Applicants
- If either applicant is non-English speaking, an English interpreter is needed to complete the Marriage License Application. Be advised, without exception, interpreters appearing with the applicants must provide a Photo ID and sign an oath verifying the translation. Interpreters do not have to be certified interpreters and can be friends and family with the following exception:
A family member of one applicant is not eligible to translate for the other applicant.
- Rowan County does not have interpreters on staff.
- Applicants may not interpret for each other.
- Interpreters must be over the age of 18.
The fee for a marriage license is $60, cash only. We do not accept credit or debit cards.
If divorced, the party must know the month and year of the divorce decree. If the divorce was finalized during the same month and year of the purchase of the new marriage license, the party must present a certified copy of the divorce decree.
The marriage ceremony must be performed in North Carolina. The marriage license is valid for 60 days from the date of issuance. On the 61st day, the license expires.
Who Performs Marriages?
Marriages may be performed by an ordained minister of any religious denomination, a minister authorized by a church, a magistrate, or a federally- or state-recognized Native American Nation or tribe.
The Rowan County Magistrate’s Office performs marriages by appointment only. They are located at 118 W. Liberty Street, Salisbury, NC 28144. Please call 704-797-3130 to schedule an appointment.
Obtaining a Certified Copy of Your Marriage License
You may purchase a certified copy of your marriage license filed in Rowan County by visiting the Register of Deeds Office, by mail at: 402 N. Main Street, Suite 102, Salisbury, NC 28144 or online at Rowan County Online Vital Record Request’s. The cost for a certified copy is $10 cash; please note additional processing fees apply when requesting certified copies online.
Rowan County Register of Deeds can only provide copies of marriage licenses that were issued in Rowan County. For marriage licenses issued outside Rowan County, contact the county where the marriage license was issued.
To obtain a certified copy of a vital record in person you may come into our office located at 402 N. Main Street, Suite 102, Salisbury, North Carolina 28144. When requesting a certified copy of a vital record in office you must complete a request form and present a valid government issued photo I.D.
To obtain a death certificate online please click here.
To Request a copy via mail:
- Submit a Written Request: must include your name (maiden name if applicable), your spouse’s name (maiden name if applicable), your date of marriage and a contact number.
- A photo copy of your valid government issued photo ID
- A self-addressed stamped envelope
- A Money Order for $10.00 made payable to the Rowan County Register of Deeds