How do I (FAQ)
- How do I order or report a missing road sign?
Have all road names needed to complete the sign and contact the Planning and Development Department at 704-216-8588 or fill out the Damaged or Missing Street Sign Form. Please note that the County will only put up road signs outside of city limits.
- How do I Rezone property?
Prior to submitting a rezoning request, applicants are encouraged to meet with a member of the Planning Department to discuss the requested change. The following information must be submitted for consideration:
- Completed application (with affidavit of owner if non-owner petition)
- Two copies of a map, to scale, which clearly illustrates the subject property. If a portion of the land is proposed for rezoning, a meets and bounds description is necessary to describe the requested boundary
- $500 fee payable to Rowan County
- How do I file a housing complaint?
- How do I obtain an address?
Rowan County adopted an Addressing Ordinance (PDF) to ensure that efficient police, fire and emergency service is provided to the citizens of Rowan County. This ordinance requires all new homes to be assigned numbers by the Planning and Development Department staff in accordance with accepted procedures. Planning staff will issue an address at the time a zoning permit is pulled.
- How do I open a new home business or home occupation?
Verify that the proposed use is allowed, business location and operations, with the Planning and Development Department by calling 704-216-8588. Planning staff will determine the type of permit that will need to be applied for (Zoning Verification Letter or Zoning Permit).
- How do I subdivide property?
- Contact Planning staff to determine the type of subdivision your request may qualify for (Minor, Minor Special Exception, Family, Major, or Exception).
- Contact a private surveyor to create a subdivision and submit it to Planning staff for approval.
- How do I add a storage building to property?
- Contact Planning staff by calling 704-216-8588 to determine if the structure is permissible on the property in question.
- If the structure is permissible, go to the Rowan County Planning and Development department and apply for a zoning permit.
- Take the zoning permit to the Rowan County Building Inspections department and apply for any other required permits. For more information, download Accessory Structures (PDF).
- How do I build within or adjacent to a floodplain?
Developing on a parcel with floodplain will require a development permit to go alongside the zoning permit. Staff will need a site plan with the proposed location of the new building(s). Some sites may require a surveyor to mark the proposed location(s) on the site plan. Once the footers of the new building(s) have been laid, staff will need to verify that the structure(s) are located outside of the floodplain. This is done with an as built survey, but in some circumstances may be done with a site visit by Planning staff. If Planning staff provides a site visit a $50 fee will be charged with the issuing of the development permit.
- How do I obtain a zoning permit?
- Contact Planning staff to determine if your proposed use is allowed on the parcel.
- Come to the Planning and Development Department with all of the specifications of the proposed structure (total square footage, number of bedrooms and bathrooms, etc.).
- Other requirements may be necessary due to site conditions. Contact Planning staff for more detail.
- How do I apply for a special use permit?
Special uses are assumed to be generally compatible with other land uses permitted in the zoning district in which the special use is proposed. However, due to their unique characteristics or potential impacts on the surrounding areas or the county as a whole, individual consideration of their location, design, configuration and/or operation at the proposed location is required. Prior to submitting a special use permit request, applicants are encouraged to meet with a member of the Planning Department to discuss the request. The following information must be presented for consideration by the department:
- Submit completed application;
- Submit site plan in accordance with Section 21-52;
- Provide response to Evaluation Criteria from Section 21-59;
- Provide information for specific uses listed in Section 21-60 (if applicable);
- Other information deemed necessary to determine the development proposal's impacts; and
- Submit $200 fee payable to Rowan County
- What is a commercial plan review?
A commercial plan review is required for all commercial projects. The following is a list of departments involved in the review process of commercial projects:
- Environmental health
- Erosion control
- Planning and development (site plan review)
- NC Department of Transportation
- Building Inspections
Download Commercial Review Plan (PDF)
- How do I submit payment to planning and development using the website?