Erosion Control

All land-disturbing activity performed in Rowan County should follow appropriate erosion control practices. Land disturbing activity of one acre or more is subject to the requirements of the Rowan County Soil Erosion and Sediment Control Ordinance (RCSESCO). Activities that are exempt from the requirements of this ordinance include:

  • Agricultural activities
  • Forestry
  • Activities undertaken by government entities

Land-Disturbance Permits

Plan Submittals

Fee Schedule

Disturbed Acreage Fee

The Rowan County Board of Commissioners a revised erosion and sedimentation control fee schedule on July 7, 2008, that became effective August 1, 2008.  The disturbed acreage fee is $50 per acre and partial acreages are rounded to the next whole acre, e.g. 1.35 disturbed acres will require a permit fee of $100.

Plan Review Fee

As provided in Section 18-52(c) of the County's erosion and sedimentation control ordinance, the County may elect to retain a consultant or professional services to review an erosion control plan and provide a determination (s) or recommendation(s) as to whether the plan complies with standards of the ordinance and applicable state and federal rules and regulations.

The applicant shall pay any expense for consulting or professional services in excess of the disturbed acreage fee.  The County shall require the consultant(s) to disclose any potential conflicts of interest and to hold confidential any proprietary information supplied by the applicant.  All determination costs are reimbursable to the County by the applicant prior to final approval and initiating ground-disturbing activity.